A few weeks ago my friend Shelby and I decided that we were going to make canned apple pie filling. Okay, so I know that 99% of you are thinking "yeah right, Lori doing something domestic?" But yes, I am here to tell you that I really did it, with Shelby's expertise of course! We went out to the church farm and got a ton of apples, well 224 lbs. of apples to be exact, for only $40! Awesome! The only setback was that the kids were looking forward to actually picking the apples from the trees and they were already picked and ready for us to put into our own buckets/bins. Shelby and I didn't have a problem with it! We tried to make picking the apples out of the bins fun for the kids, but they weren't easily fooled. Oh well, we had a good time anyway. We then spent two nights the following week canning the apples. It was labor intensive I tell you! We canned more than 60 jars of apple pie filling! Yippee! I'm just happy that I have some dessert in my food storage because we all know how much I love sugar. I guess I don't have any excuse for not making apple pies now, right Jared? The picture below is at the church farm. Doesn't Brynn look so excited to be there? NOT!

Last Friday Jared was headed to McCall for the day to work and decided, with much encouragement from me, to take Josh along for the ride. So we got him all spiffed up and ready to go with scripture tote in hand. You'd almost think he was a missionary, but instead of carrying scriptures, his tote held toys and snacks for the long day ahead. That's my boy! Jared said all of the receptionists loved him and he had so much fun hanging out with his dad all day.

Thanksgiving was fun too. We had Jared's brother Zach and his wife Jill and three kids over and Grandpa Ralph too. Usually it is pretty chaotic, but it was actually relatively quiet and peaceful for a change. We did miss the craziness of being with all of the family though. This picture of Jell-O below is the result of many hours of preparation, I guess that is what makes it taste so good. I love it! I had to take a picture of it and I'm sure my family thinks I am a nut for doing so, but I just think it looks so cool and had to share. The genteel and delicate hands belong to my lovely husband who is posing as Vanna White. Thanks J!

Jace, Josh, and Kaden freezing their tails off on the tramp.

My innocent little Luke with his roll. That is all he would eat. No potatoes and gravy, no stuffing, no corn, no Jell-O, no turkey, no pumpkin pie, no nothin'!
4 comments:
How on earth did you make that jello? I gotta admit, that threw me for an "impressed loop" more so than the canning of the apple pie filling!! Looks like a great Thanksgiving! By-the-way, have I ever mentioned how cute your kids are?
Lori,
That Jell-O salad picture brought immediate memories of our Freshman year. Remember when you made that for us? I can still taste it's creamy, fruity goodness. It is still the best Jell-O dish I have ever had. And trust me, I'm from Utah, I've had a lot of Jell-O. Love ya!
That jello looks incredible. I'll have to find out how you do it. Glad to hear Thanksgiving was good.
I am impressed! Can you teach me how to can apple pie filling and make that yummy looking jello? I could learn a few lessons on how to be more domesticated! lol. I love that picture of Josh all spiffed up. He looks so cute! And, don't worry, my Ashlyn would only eat rolls on Thanksgiving, too. I tried everything else but it was a no-go. Oh well. Carbs are good, right?
Post a Comment